InMetriks is a powerful and cost effective way to gain ESOS compliance. Read below to find out more about ESOS and if you need to comply.
What is ESOS?
Energy Saving Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) is the UK Government’s approach to implementing Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive. ESOS is a mandatory energy assessment scheme for organisations in the UK that meet the qualification criteria. Organisations that qualify for ESOS must carry out energy use assessments every 4 years. These assessments are audits of the energy used by their buildings, industrial processes and transport. The audits are used to identify cost cost-effectivegy saving measures.
Do I need to comply?
Organisations that are operating in the UK and meet the following criteria must comply:
- 250 or more employees
- fewer than 250 employees but an annual turnover and balance sheet exceeding €50m and €43m respectively
Additionally within a corporate group, if one organisation qualifies then the entire group must comply
Deadlines for Compliance
By 5 December 2019 all qualifying organisations must have carried out their ESOS assessment and notified the Environment Agency. Participants must then carry out an ESOS assessment in each subsequent 4-year compliance period, ending on 5 December 2023, 2027 etc.
What does ESOS involve?
Organisations undertaking ESOS audits need to complete the following steps:
- Make an estimate of total energy consumption used by organisation
- Identify areas of significant energy consumption (must make up more than 90% of total consumption)
- Audit areas of significant energy consumption to establish where energy saving could be made
- Formally notify the Environment Agency of compliance